Diversity & Inclusion Officer (DIO) of the board 2019-2020
PhD Student, Stellenbosch University, South Africa
Amanda is a project manager at the Western Cape Economic Development Partnership, mainly coordinating water governance and management projects around collaboration. She has a passion for governance within public institutions. Which includes adaptable and proactive management, effective coordination of multisectoral, multidisciplinary and innovative approaches to result in functional institutions. She has a post-graduate degree in International Land and Water Management, and has worked in water governance-related projects in the Netherlands, Spain, Malawi and South Africa. Amanda is in her final year of a PhD study in water governance transitions at Stellenbosch University. She is an International WaTERS fellow.
Vice-Diversity & Inclusion Officer (DIO) of the board 2019-2020
PhD in Industrial Ecology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology – NTNU
Hi! I'm Eliette. I recieved my PhD in Industrial Ecology from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology – NTNU in 2020. I hold a Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineer from EAFIT University in Medellín, Colombia (2008), and obtained a Master's degree in environmental engineering from the ETH in Zürich, Switzerland in 2013. I worked as a researcher at Empa in St. Gallen, Switzerland, in combination with my PhD studies until March 2020 in the topic of car electronics recycling. My role in the ISIE Student Chapter is to support you with matters related to diversity and inclusion.
Joe Bozeman III
Chair, Gordon Research Seminar (Industrial Ecology), Institute for Environmental Science and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), USA
Joe F. Bozeman III originally hails from Dayton, Ohio. He received his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering (Concentration: Energy and Environmental Sustainability) from the University of Illinois at Chicago in year 2020. His current research explores climate change, socioecology, and human health as it relates to the food-energy-water nexus and global environmental change. He has spent more than a decade working in the private and public sector on energy and environmental sustainability matters, and his works have been featured in domestic and international outlets such as Popular Science, Geographical Magazine, and WBEZ 91.5 (NPR Chicago).
Board Member At-Large
PhD student, Pontifical Catholic University of Peru, Peru
My name is Diana Ita, I am an environmental engineer with an MSc in Industrial Ecology from Leiden University and TU Delft, in the Netherlands. I am currently a 2nd year PhD student at the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru. My research involves the assessment of impacts of marine debris, with a focus on plastic waste, using LCA and MFA as the main tools. Additionally, I have five years of work experience as a consultant, specifically for the environmental management of extractive activities in Peru. My experience has pushed me to seek for efficient solutions from an environmental perspective, and has encouraged me to keep a holistic view when working with multidisciplinary groups.
Glenn A. Aguilar-Hernandez
Board Member At-Large
PhD student, Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML), Leiden University, the Netherlands
I am currently a PhD candidate in the Department of Industrial Ecology at CML, Leiden University. My research focuses on understanding the environmental and socio-economic implications of a circular economy transition at macro-level. My experience comprises scientific research in academic and non-academic organizations regarding multiple subjects, such as climate change, circular economy, bioenergy and sustainability analysis. I obtained a Bachelor degree of Chemistry from the University of Costa Rica, and a Master of Sustainability from the University of Sydney, Australia. I worked as production supervisor and researcher in the biofuel industry. Moreover, I contributed to bioenergy projects and a climate change adaptation program at the University of Costa Rica.
Board Member At-Large
PhD student, Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), UL, Portugal
Daniel Itzamna Avila-Ortega
Former student board members
- 2018-2019: Reed Miller (President), Stefanie Klose (Vice President), Amanda Gcanga (Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer), Hanjiro Ambrose, Joe Bozeman III, Paul Currie, Nathalie Spittler, Zhengyang Zheng,
- 2017-2018: Christoph Helbig (President), Dana Boyer (Vice President), Ana Rosa Rabelo de Lima, Yuwei Qin, Stefanie Klose, Hanjiro Ambrose, Reed Miller
- 2016-2017: Alessio Miatto (President), Carla Caldeira, Éléonore Lebre, Maryam Arbabzadeh,Ana Rosa Rabelo de Lima, Christoph Helbig, Dana Boyer, Yuwei Qin
- 2015-2016: Moana Silva Simas (President), Alessio Miatto, Carla Caldeira, Éléonore Lebre, Ignes Augusta Castro Contreiras de Carvalho, Luis Felipe Vásquez Correa, Maryam Arbabzadeh
- 2014-2015: Tomer Fishman (President), Alfred Wreh, Carolin Bellstedt, Ignes Augusta Castro Contreiras de Carvalho, Luis Felipe Vásquez Correa, Moana Silva Simas
- 2013-2014: Xiao Li (President), Burak Şen, Carolin Bellstedt, Claire Antalya, Lin Shi, Tomer Fishman
- 2012-2013: Graham Aid (President), Claire Antalya, Emma Keller, Simone Pereira de Souza, Prakhar Goel, Xiao Li
- 2011-2012: Susan Spierre (President), Ankit Aggarwal, Emma Keller, Graham Aid, Simone Pereira de Souza, and Yu Li
- 2010-2011: Catherine Izard (President), Ankit Aggarwal, Dexin Luo, Geoffrey Gilpin, Susan Spierre, Vivian Li