LCSA Board Meeting Minutes - 2017-06-28
Meeting Held on 28 June, 2017 at the ISIE-ISSST Conference in Chicago
- Thomas Gloria
- Sangwon Suh
- Morgan Edwards
- Yuan Yao
- Cassandra Thiel
- Matt Eckelman
- Wenjie Liao
- Jeroen Guinee
- All of us: Set up regular meeting (fill out doodle poll from email)
- Cassie/Thomas: Get information on past LCSA meetings, etc. from Jeroen
A little history:
- Past struggles to create online content
- Past special issues to bring out importance of LCSA
- Communication within the section is an issue
- People change section often (mailing lists outdated)
- If membership fees are lapsed, that person is not in the section
Thoughts for the future:
- What are our two year goals?
- Short time frame (2 years) to accomplish something. Can we create something that is “sustainable” for future section leaders?
- Ideas for approaches: webinars, reports, promotional material (see notes from 2017-06 meeting)
- ISIE special issue on “sustainable development” and the practical use of LCA and relationship to SDGs (increase exposure, etc.)
- SDSN – Sustainable Development Network
- Development and finance side
- Outreach to industry partners?
- Influencing conferences (North American conference coming up; section activities at Gordon Conference)
- GRC in May 2018 – role of enviro. Sust. In SDGs (good segue with special issue, etc.)
- Morgan is helping organize the GRS and can help coordinate events
- Structure in our section for how we support our website
- Survey of students to see which companies are hiring students (industry survey of LCA needs)
- Could partner with student section
- Could request portion of member dues to fund this initiative
- Policy mapping internationally
There are other sections of other societies that have similar purview – how do we raise the profile of IE?
Why does the section exist? – unclear for members – one thing we need to tackle
- Members join a section so that dues can be allocated to the section (original intent)
- Perhaps this is an issue that can be raised
- These resources may help fund student-survey partnership, etc.
- What’s the differentiating point between ACLCA and our section?
- They do webinars
- They run special sessions at conferences
- They (help) create standards