LCSA Board Meeting Minutes - 2017-06-07
Date: 7 June, 2017
First Meeting of New Board Members
- Previous Committee overview
- Upcoming conference
- Setting up next meeting
- Website inquiry response
- Tom Gloria – Harvard arts and sciences faculty; dir. Of sustainability program (2000 students); role in LSCA – was vice chair (Jeroen Guinee chair) for 2 years; assoc editor for JIE
- Matt Eckelman – NEU Civil & enviro engineering; background chemical and environmental eng; courses in LCA and air quality, pollution control, energy systems; started LCA about 10 years ago; more chemical background, turning toward green buildings/cive
- Yuan Yao – NC State forest biomaterials dept; LCA work for chemical things and biofuels/biomaterials; technology development (work with fac members as team); teach capstone design for ugrads, research for sustainability
- Stephan Pfister – ETH-Zurich scientist, with Stefanie Helweg; ecological system design; IE assessments; LCA and impact assessment development; water consumption in LCA; towel production inventory; more spatial details than average (regionalization); ecoivent for data provision; social LCA interests
- Cassandra Thiel – NYU assistant professor; healthcare sustainability; LCAs of surgery; teaches public service students Operations Management and intro to Environmental Sustainability
Paulina Jaramillo and Wenjie Liao unable to join this meeting.
Committee Overview & Background
- Committee had been relatively dormant; Jeroen got it rolling again
- Day-to-day: meet once per month
- Quarterly meetings with ISIE advisory board; as issues come up, emails sent to Edgar/ISIE leadership
- Upcoming Conferences:
- Chicago Conference (ISIE/ISSST Joint, 2017)
- Swiss Gordon Research Conference (2018)
- Beijing Conference
- Ongoing debate: Should we have more conferences (in North America, specifically?)
- Matt: if ISSST partnership goes well, perhaps we could have an ISIE North American section conference partnering with ISSST (which is annual)
Committee Goals (Previous)
- Guide society on the space around LCSA.
- Garner support and interest on LCSA.
- JIE will come out with special issue on LCSA. 9 articles submitted, final stages of productions
- Activity (LinkedIn/Facebook/etc.) has been low
- Conference activities:
- organize to meet with each other (meet face-to-face)
- struggled to have a larger meeting (open invitation meetings at the conference)
- Continued conversations about financial viability and growth of ISIE/LCSA section
Thoughts on What the 2017 Board can work towards
- There tends to be a focus on the academic side within ISIE; perhaps this committee could focus more on practice side
- Measures of progress and quantification advancement for members
- Topic support for members:
- We have a broad purview
- Emergence of “nexus” issues (water, energy, land, food, etc.)
- Net positive aspects of LC-measures (Greg Morris’ work at Harvard)
- Conversation around impacts and benefits
- Matt: do we have a publicity & policy agenda for ISIE/LCSA?
- Ex: publish reports/op-eds on US policy (for US political leaders)
- Tom: may have to be careful with 503c status; would need to inform ISIE leadership of any external communications
- Ex goal: op-ed for NYT to talk about IE and how it fits within Supply Chain, Operations, Sustainability, etc.
- Ex: concepts of circular economy
- Yuan: Do we have any engagement with ISIE members who sign up with our division?
- Tom: attempted in Surrey meeting, but a tepid response
- There are special issues of JIE with a call for authors; lots of the connections tend to be focused around the journal
- Incentive focused on publishing
- Website could perhaps be improved to facilitate this
Website Feedback (email from Paul Hoekman)
I am interested in any ideas you may have with regards to the site, but also have a few specific questions:
- Can you give a brief description of what member interaction you currently have within the ISIE site, and outside of the ISIE site?
- Do you have any particularly positive or negative feelings towards certain tools or communication channels (e.g. Facebook works great but Mailchimp is useless)?
- If you have interaction tools (blogs, mailing lists, etc.) outside of the ISIE website, is there a particular reason for not using the ISIE site?
- Are there other tools or things that you would currently like to have available for your Section (be it inside the ISIE site or independently from the site)?
- Say three years down the line, in your wildest dreams and thinking in a "the sky is the limit" scenario, can you think of any high-tech tools or a revolutionary vision that you would love for your Section to have when it comes to its online presence and activities?
- Send responses to Tom, and he will consolidate our thoughts.
- Other thoughts discussed today
- Send regular updates about this boards’ meetings (so members know something is happening)
- Ability to search for members (who share interests, or may be interested in finding speakers, etc.)
ISIE/ISSST Chicago Conference Meeting
- Availability for meeting is restricted to Wednesday (6/28) lunchtime (http://isie-issst2017.uic.edu/program.html)
- Stephan will not be attending
- Predicted attendance: Cassie, Matt, Yuan, Tom
- Probably not an opportunity to try to meet with broader section members (maybe Tuesday night.. but most likely not)
- Matt: Will we advertise about the section at the conference? Tom: not sure but probably not