Arnold TukkerUniversity of Leiden, CML
|University of Leiden, CML|
|Member since||Jun 22, 2003|
AboutProfessor of Industrial Ecology, Head, Department of Industrial Ecology, CML, Leiden University
DetailsArnold Tukker is professor of Industrial Ecology, Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML), Leiden University, Netherlands. Until September 2022 he was CML’s Director (8 year maximum term). He is an experienced scientist and manager. From 2014-2022 CML grew a factor 3-4 to >150 staff and >9 Mio Euro/yr. budget. CML’s IE group (60-70 staff/PhDs) is now one of the biggest globally. He still has a small appointment at The Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research TNO. He chairs the Leiden-Delft-Erasmus Centre for Sustainability, a network of >200 researchers focusing on systems analysis, technology/design, business models/behaviour, and governance for a circular economy. Despite working until fall 2013 outside academia, he authored 6 books and over 190 refereed papers (h-value 65/22.800 citations in Google scholar; h-value 45/10.900 citations in Scopus; status January 2023).
Awards and recognitions include:
• Honorary doctorate,Linköping University, November 2022
• Elected as Fellow of the Paris Institute of Advanced Study, year 2022/23
• Elected as Member of the European Academy of Sciences, 2018
• Highly Cited Researcher 2019-now, Clarivate/Web of Science Group (top 0.1% globally)
• In the top 2500 of the most impactful researchers globally in 2021 (top <0.1% globally) as evaluated by Stanford University/Elsevier/prof. Ioannidis. Top 25 globally and top 2 nationally in the sub-field of Environmental Sciences.
• Awarded about 40 Mio Euro in project grants as career total, a.o. covering IE subjects like LCA, MFA, IOA (e.g. the development of EXIOBASE), and several network projects aimed at kick-starting and organizing a science field (e.g. SusProNet on sustainable business models (2002-2005) and SCORE! on sustainable consumption and production in relation to the UN’s Ten Year Framework of Programs on Sustainable Consumption and Production (2005-2008)).
Research Interests• Environmental/economic systems analysis: (ex-ante) LCA/LCC, (dynamic) MFA, Environmental IOA, consumption based accounting, scenario's, linkage of IE tools with IAMs, etc.
• Sustainable technology & design
• Sustainable business models, value chains and consumption patterns
• Governance of sustainability