At the International Society for Industrial Ecology (ISIE), we take protection of personal privacy seriously. As a society we necessarily manage personal data of our members, and our efforts to organize events, enable networking between members, and in general connect one another all imply that certain personal information is being shared in the process. However, we aim to find the right balance between giving each individual member the liberty to decide on the level of public exposure of their personal information, and allowing our sections, members, and our organization itself to achieve their goals.
In this document we outline the way we handle private information, as well as other policies that apply to member information. We welcome feedback from our members and other interested parties. Please use our contact page to get in touch with us.
As a member-based society, we collect data on our members. This information is directly requested from our members and used exclusively to help us and other members better connect with each other. The following information is collected:
- Membership type, start date and expiration date
- Contact information (including e-mail, city and country of residence, telephone)
- Research interests and academic background (including affiliation, research topics, profile, (link to) CV, section affiliation, etc.)
- Account password
Nearly all of this information is optional and each member can fill out those fields they are comfortable with sharing. Only name and e-mail address are compulsory fields for our members, as they are the minimum information required for us to contact people.
Passwords are recorded in a one-way encrypted format.
This information is provided directly by the member and it can be edited at any time by logging onto the ISIE website and editing the member profile information. Information can also be removed (except for the required fields) through the online profile.
In addition to the aforementioned primary member data, the ISIE also logs other data on each member. This information is registered as part of the ISIE's legitimate interests and only serves to provide a better service to the ISIE members or the society's overall operations. The following secondary data is recorded:
- Information of awards that members receive will be recorded in their profile.
- If members post something on our website (e.g. an announcement or job posting), then the member will be listed as the contributor of this posting.
- If members are featured in a post on our website (e.g. a news article about a particular member's achievement) then this member will be listed as the 'featured member' of that post.
- If members have (had) a special role at the ISIE this will be recorded (e.g. nominating committee members).
- Election information including candidates that each member has nominated, a candidate profile (if the member has been a candidate), and votes that have been cast.
The ISIE engages only in behavioral tracking at a very minimal level. The goal of this is exclusively to understand the overall website usage and interaction with the ISIE for the purpose of improving these engagements as well as certain logging for security purposes. We do not record information with the goal to analyze individual members and we do not perform any automated profiling of users. Our website does not serve any custom ads based on behavior of users.
The following tracking takes place on or through the ISIE website:
- When any visitor opens the website, certain data is recorded on the server. This is regular logging that has not been modified by the ISIE in any way. The user IP, browser, and time and date are recorded, along with the URL that was opened. This information is recorded for security purposes and only accessed if there is a security breach or IT problem to resolve. This data is not accessible by ISIE staff or board members.
- We have implemented Google Analytics on our website. Google Analytics stores data on visitation and we use this to better understand how our website is used. You can read more about Google Analytics' policies on their website: http://analytics.google.com/.
- We log the links that members click in newsletters so that we can understand the effectiveness of the newsletters. ISIE website administrators can not see who clicked which link, but only see the total number of clicks on each link.
The ISIE does not store credit card information from its members. We use Stripe as our credit card processor, and credit card information is processed by Stripe. The ISIE records the payment history (how much was paid, on what date, etc.) without recording the credit card details themselves.
Publication of member information
The ISIE publishes certain information of its members online. As a society, sharing this information is seen as an important activity for the ISIE. However, we provide our members with various tools to adjust the publication of this information to make it suit their personal preference. An overview is provided below:
- The member name, city of residence and affiliation is listed in the member list. To not appear in the member list at all, each member can deactivate this in their online account.
- An individual member profile page is made available to the public. This will list the information entered by the member. To disable this page, a member can change this setting in their account.
- The member's e-mail address and contact details will be visible in their profile. However, this will only be visible to other logged-in members. The e-mail address will not be publicly visible.
The ISIE sends its members regular e-mails. These e-mails can be divided into two principal types: a) automated digests with a monthly overview of the content of the ISIE website, and b) messages written manually by ISIE officers or administrators about the ISIE or the section. The automated e-mail newsletters can be customized by each member. In the member account, each member can indicate which type of content should or should not be included in the newsletter. Furthermore, there is an option to fully disable this newsletter.
The second type of messaging is the main way in which the ISIE communicates important information to its members, and can therefore not be turned off.
Right of access
Each member has the right to access their own data and to obtain information about how their data is being processed. Most of the data can be obtained directly through our website, where each member can view (and edit) their information within their own account.
Obtaining access to the secondary data (e.g. an overview of member details stored in the back-end) is available on request. Please contact the ISIE for more information.
The ISIE maintains data on its former members. This is done for practical reasons. Members that re-activate their membership will have access to their old account instead of having to set up a completely new account. Furthermore, the information published by the former member (e.g. an announcement or job posting) will in most circumstances retain its usefulness even if a member has discontinued their membership with the society. For this reason we will leave the information on our website as it was listed before the membership became inactive. However, each member has the right to erase their data on request (see below).
Right to erasure
Members and former members that would like to remove information from the ISIE website can request to have this done. The ISIE will remove personally identifiable information and remove for instance the name listed under announcements or news messages so that these messages can no longer be linked to a specific member. Please contact the ISIE for more information.
The ISIE maintains various social media accounts. Content posted by members on the ISIE website may be reposted on the social media accounts. By publishing information on our website, users agree to the possible re-posting of their content. We will not post member profiles or member data on social media without the consent of our members.