PhD studentship, Data Science for Future Sustainability
Organization: Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
Department: Department of Energy and Process Engineering
Type: PhD and Postdoc Positions
More information: View details
The Industrial Ecology Program (IndEcol), Department of Energy and Process Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) is seeking a PhD student to advance the use of data science – a combination of statistics and advanced information processing – in the area of sustainability analysis. The student will be supervised by Professor Edgar Hertwich.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Advance analysis methods of greenhouse gas emissions, resource use
- Develop tools and methods to harvest and continuously update data used by industrial ecology tools to track progress towards sustainability
- Learn to identify opportunities for data science to provide new insights to sustainability
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in informatics, statistics, industrial ecology, economics, physics, mathematics, operations research, or engineering.
- Strong analytical capabilities
- good written and oral communications skills in English; Scandinavian language skills are a plus
- competence in statistical analysis, databases and/or mathematical modeling
- Evidence of coursework or work experience related to environment, sustainability
- Strong programming (e.g., R, MatLab, Python)
- evidence of ability to handle large complex datasets will be seen in a positive light.
- Competence in operations research, optimization, or exposure to social science/economics will be evaluated positively.
Read advertisement and apply through Jobbnorge.