Amazon’s Sustainability organization points Amazon’s innovative culture at environmental and social impacts with enormous scale. We consider the full lifecycle of our impact, from supply chain to customer experience, operational efficiency to waste diversion. We take action to improve the impact Amazon has on the environment, looking for wins that are good for our customers and our business as well. Sustainability Science is a team of environmental and social research scientists and product managers answering core sustainability questions for the larger organization and looking around corners to identify long term environmental and social hotspots.
As a Sustainability Science Researcher, you will be responsible for conducting assessments of environmental and social issues across Amazon, evaluating the sustainability impacts of supply chains, from manufacturing to transportation, to consumer use, to end-of-life. The ideal candidate will have industry experience conducting life cycle assessments (LCAs) of products and services, and detailed knowledge of manufacturing, design, development, and/or sourcing. The candidate should be comfortable working with imperfect data, identifying sources of uncertainty, and finding public data to fill the gaps where needed.
The successful candidate must have strong analytical skills and the ability to apply systems thinking to complex, fast-moving problems. The candidate should have familiarity with LCA methods and applications. The successful candidate will work under the direction of senior business leaders but will act as a Subject Matter Expert, including designing research, gathering data, interpreting results, and developing metrics and reports. The candidate may manage small project teams in gathering and analyzing large amounts of data.
· Manage sustainability-related research projects through all stages: ideation, modeling, data collection, data analysis, data visualization, and reporting;
· Develop reports, dashboards and metrics which distill complex data into actionable insights;
· Subject matter expert in the product, supply chain, and fulfillment sustainability assessments;
· Respond to time-critical questions from multiple business teams;
· Professionally communicate with senior business leaders.
· Work closely with software engineering teams to drive real-time model implementations and new feature creations
· Work closely with operations staff to optimize various business operations
· 5+ years conducting sustainability research and/or driving sustainability improvements;
· Experience with sustainability footprinting and/or product LCA;
· Coding experience in Python, R, or similar.
· Master’s degree in environmental science or engineering, industrial ecology, industrial or mechanical engineering, or related fields.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills;
· PhD in a highly quantitative or related field.
· Experience using commercial LCA software such as GaBi or SimaPro;
· Experience with AWS features (S3, Redshift) is a plus.
· Ability to write well-structured, easily maintainable, and well-documented code and desire to improve by iterating on code through peer review
· Experience working with big, messy datasets and deriving inferences from them
· Strong drive to learn new topics and skills, to develop innovative insights.
· Published a peer-reviewed LCA, Environmental Product Declaration (EPD), product environmental footprint (PEF), or similar.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.