Short description of the position:
The Institute for Renewable Energy performs applied research on sustainable energy transition for cities and regions. In particular, the group on Urban and Regional Energy Systems develops holistic environmental impact assessment approaches with a life-cycle perspective, to support decision making on sustainable and climate neutral urban and regional development.
We are looking for a highly motivated researcher in the field of Industrial Ecology with good knowledge of life-cycle assessment (LCA) to work on current and future applied research projects. The position is expected to start from February 2023 with a 1-year contract and the possibility to extend it.
- Planning and conducting independent research on environmental impact assessment, within projects on urban and regional development, smart cities, electric mobility and circular economy, among others;
- Developing and applying holistic impact assessment approaches, building on and integrating a range of industrial ecology tools and methods (e.g., MFA, urban metabolism);
- Contributing to and leading research project proposals;
- Developing, writing and publishing high quality technical reports and scientific articles;
- Contributing to communication, information and dissemination events and activities within the projects;
- Participating in international meetings, conferences and workshops.
- PhD in environmental engineering, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, environmental economics, or similar;
- Experience in life-cycle assessment (LCA), preferably on its application to urban systems (e.g., built environment, transportation systems, neighborhoods);
- Experience in research projects relevant to the position/role (e.g., on quantitative analyses to support environmental sustainability in urban and regional systems; circular economy; climate neutral cities);
- (Optional) Experience in Input-Output Analysis in the context of environmental impact assessment (e.g., EIO-LCA) is an added value;
- (Optional) Experience in other industrial ecology-related tools and approaches (UM, MFA, LCC, SLCA), in programming (e.g., Python, R), and/or in statistics and data analysis is an added value;
- (Optional) Knowledge in urban and regional systems (e.g., urban planning, regional development, building engineering, architecture) is an advantage;
- Strong track record of scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals;
- Good team spirit, motivation to learn and capacity to work in a group and independently;
- Fluent written and verbal communication skills (e.g., drafting reports, delivering presentations);
- Very good command of English (reading, writing and speaking);
- (Optional) Knowledge of Italian and/or German is an advantage.
- The opportunity to work in a dynamic, international and multidisciplinary environment, in a growing sector, in collaboration with public authorities, companies, universities and civil society;
- A 1-year work contract with the possibility of extension, flexible working hours and a group of engaged colleagues;
- Working conditions that allow professional growth and knowledge acquisition, including access to in-house training courses on a range of topics;
- The position is located in Bolzano, in the Italian Alps, which offers a high quality of life.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit their application (CV, cover letter and further relevant documents) through https://www.eurac.edu/en/job-opportunities by 12/01/2023.