Join a Cleantech 50 to Watch start up and work to reverse climate change.
We are seeking a Senior LCA/Carbon Specialist (m/f/x) to manage LCA and carbon operations at Made of Air. This is a pivotal role in a fast-growing company working at the intersection of material science and carbon capture. This role can be full- or part-time, onsite in our Berlin office or remote within Germany with occasional travel.
Made of Air is a climate-focused materials company transforming waste biomass into high-value, carbon negative, thermoplastic materials for industrial use.
Our materials replace fossil plastics in manufactured products. Composed of carbon sequestered from the atmosphere, the materials permanently remove CO2 and are thermoformed by standard industrial processes to meet numerous building and consumer product applications. Storing carbon in products enables manufactured goods to become an engineered carbon sink.
We are an award-winning start up that pushes the boundaries of materials and production, helping to build economies that actively reverse climate change. This is a high-growth, dynamic environment with a diverse and highly motivated team of innovators, scientists, and business visionaries.
We are in business to reverse climate change.
How you’ll make a difference:
As a Senior LCA/Carbon Specialist (m/f/x), you will work closely with company management and to ensure alignment of big picture strategy with day-to-day operations and drive development of LCA/carbon strategy. The right candidate will have the opportunity to grow alongside the company and take on greater responsibilities within the organization. Key dimensions of this position include life cycle assessment, carbon footprinting, systems optimization, and identification of new areas for impact improvement.
What you will be doing:
- Work closely with the management team on both strategic and operational tasks making sure the company vision is aligned with the operational needs
- Gather the appropriate data, conduct life cycle assessments based on best practices, account for uncertainties in the data, and present the results in a clear, compelling way to technical and non-technical teams and supply chain partners
- Contribute to the application and development of interdisciplinary models for environmental and carbon footprints of products and systems to, e.g., support policies and business development;
- Work together with team leads on the development and implementation of new and cutting-edge methodologies
- Externally collaborate with analysts and organizations to support this innovation process and expand the reach of our frameworks and methodologies.
- Learn about the requirements and needs of our customers as it relates to LCA and corporate responsibility broadly.
- Dig into our work on life cycle assessment and carbon footprinting, and how this compares to existing materials on the market.
- Engage routinely with the manufacturing team on our life cycle assessment providing them with key information to inform process development and facility design.
- Working with our Process Development and Manufacturing teams to inform the design of our production processes, and provide key insights to continuously improve the sustainability of our material.
- Keep up to date with emerging research and methodologies in the field;
We’re looking for:
- 3+ years of direct experience with or academic training in life cycle assessments and/or carbon footprint assessment
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in chemical engineering, environmental engineering, industrial engineering, mechanical engineering or related job experience, pHd in LCA preferred
- Excellent analytical skills applying one of the main LCA tools including GaBi, openLCA or SimaPro etc. and advanced competency in Microsoft Excel
- Deep and comprehensive expertise in key methods of environmental analysis (e.g. Material Flow Analysis, Life Cycle Analysis and Input-Output Analysis)
- Familiarity with industry standards including EU Product Environmental Footprint and ISO 14040/44.
- Comfort working with imperfect data and identifying sources of uncertainty
- Ability to work in an environment where flexibility, collaboration, creativity and fast execution are necessary with a hands-on mentality
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, particularly with senior-level management, internally and externally
- Strong project management, collaboration, and multi-tasking skills
- English language skills at a professional level
- Looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies, and where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
- Nice to have: Previous experience in working with materials.
- Nice to have: Multidisciplinary experience, combining proven know-how in several domains, including but not limited to technology, socio-economics and/or policy-making
If you do not have all of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply anyway and tell us why your personal experience makes you an excellent candidate.
- An ambitious team with a shared passion for the climate
- A transparent, fast-growing, and inspirational environment in which you are able to innovate and be challenged on a daily basis
- Integration into a highly creative and interdisciplinary environment, with opportunities for financial and operations career development
- The chance to be a pivotal member of a ground breaking company
- A lively and fun workplace in the heart of Kreuzberg, Berlin
- 28 paid days off based on a 5-day workweek
- A permanent contract and a short probationary period of 3 months
- Mission-driven work that enacts the urgent reversal of climate change
- Put People and Planet First
- Create Tangible Impact
- Build Trust through Transparency
We value diversity and therefore welcome all applications - regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion / worldview, disability, age as well as sexual orientation and identity
If you have questions you can call Lia at +49 30 3034 5003.
We are looking forward to get to know you!