The University of Bayreuth is a research-oriented university with internationally competitive and interdisciplinary profile fields in research and teaching.
The following full-time position is available at the Chair of Ecological Resource Technology at the Faculty for Engineering Science, starting September 1st, 2022:
PhD position (m/f/d) on
Life Cycle Assessment of Global Metal Cycles
The Chair for Ecological Resource Technology focuses on modelling, simulation, and evaluation of environmentally friendly and sustainable technologies for the recovery of valuable secondary raw materials. Our research is about the use and processing of metals and minerals in global cycles from mining, fabrication and product use up to recycling. We use methods of Industrial Ecology, in particular Life Cycle Assessment, Material Flow Analysis and Raw Material Criticality Assessment. We evaluate ecological, economic and social aspects. The chair team, which is currently being established, offers you a variety of opportunities to actively participate.
- Conception, execution and analysis of Life Cycle Assessments focusing on metals and minerals
- Modelling, simulation, and evaluation of environmental impacts and benefits of circular economy and recycling technologies
- Further development of Life Cycle Impact Assessment methods for mineral resource use
- Independent research on your PhD project
- Publication of scientific articles and presentation of results on conferences in German and English
- Independent collaboration in research and industry projects
- Teaching participation through courses and theses supervision
- very good or good Master’s degree in engineering, natural sciences, or related field
- preferably a background in Circular Economy, recycling, resource efficiency, raw materials, or similar topics
- independent work ethics, scientific rigor, systematic and analytic thinking, commitment, creativity, and ability to work in a team
- enjoyment of interdisciplinary cooperation and scientific discourse
- preferably experience in Life Cycle Assessment software and databases
- preferably experience in programming with python, R, or a similar programming language
- We support your goal of obtaining a PhD in engineering through your independent engineering science work.
- We support your scientific and personal development.
- A salary and working hours in accordance with public salary scale TV-L E13.
- The position is limited based on the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz and suits the support of scientific promotion (PhD). The duration of the contract is oriented based on legal and personal situation.
The University of Bayreuth values the diversity of its employees and is explicitly committed to the goal of gender equality. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Applicants with children are very welcome. The University of Bayreuth is a member of the Best Practice Network "Familie in der Hochschule e.V.", and has successfully participated in the HRK audit "Internationalization of the University". Persons with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration if equally qualified.
Please apply online with meaningful documents (including letter of motivation, summary of the Master’s thesis, curriculum vitae, and certificates) via the application portal of the University of Bayreuth using the keyword “LCA Metals”. Application deadline is July 15, 2022. The documents will be deleted after the position has been filled, in accordance with data protection requirements.
For further information please contact Prof. Dr. Christoph Helbig, Professor for Ecological Resource Technology (firstname.lastname@example.org, +49(0)921/55-7540).