Sustainability sells. So, corporations tend to exaggerate the positive social and environmental attributes of their products to gain a competitive advantage. This phenomenon of “greenwashing” is well known at the firm-level but has seldom been studied at the inter-industry level. Sometimes, entire industries coordinate efforts to position their products and services as greener than those of a competing industry. In the building sector, the wood industry and concrete industry are amid such a war of virtues, each touting their environmental superiority.
I seek to hire a postdoctoral researcher for a two-year appointment to utilize this context to gain novel insight into how competing sustainability narratives emerge, sustain, and evolve amidst inter-industry competition. Candidates with disciplinary expertise in such wide-ranging fields as corporate social responsibility, corporate sustainability, organization studies, sustainability and environmental sciences, industrial ecology, circular economy, environmental laws, sustainable buildings, sustainable built environment, life-cycle analyses, macro-economics, and social-ecological systems are welcome to apply.
The chosen candidate will work with me in the Department of Forest Ecosystems & Society (FES) at Oregon State University. FES is a highly inter-disciplinary unit, where we develop leading-edge interventions for sustainability and sustainable management of natural resources. Oregon State University, located in Corvallis, is classified as an "R-1: very high research activity" institution. The College of Forestry is ranked # 2 in the world.
Applicants should have strong skills in conceptualizing, developing, and executing qualitative, quantitative, or conceptual research at micro, organizational, or macro levels. Minimum/required qualifications:
• A doctoral degree in a relevant discipline obtained within the last three years. ABDs can apply
• Fluency in English
• Prior publications in peer-reviewed journals
• Experience conducting independent research
• The annual salary is in the range of $55,000-60,000
• The position can begin anytime between September 2022 and January 2023
• Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled
To apply, please e-mail the following to firstname.lastname@example.org :
• Full CV
• Statement of interest, including a brief explanation of what novel inquiries you are motivated to pursue through this opportunity
• Contact information for two references (reference letters not needed at the time of application) Inquiries are welcome.
Rajat Panwar, PhD Associate Professor (Sustainable Business)
Associate Editor, Business & Society