TERMS OF REFERENCE - SHORT-TERM CONSULTANT (STC)
TOOL RESEARCH ANALYST
Location: Global (Washington D.C time zone preferred)
Duration: 50 days
Reporting to: Prashant Kapoor, Chief Industry Specialist, Climate Business Department, IFC
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it’s needed most. IFC is uniquely well positioned to create and grow new markets for climate business. Backed by a World Bank Group commitment to increase climate-related investments and mobilize private sector capital, IFC's Climate Business creates markets by investing directly in climate-smart sectors, developing new de-risking and aggregation mechanisms, and engaging public and private sector stakeholders through international forums and working groups.
IFC has created a climate-smart cities platform called APEX Green Cities. This new platform will help cities make decisions about the future of their energy, transport, water, and waste systems through an extensive array of policy and investment options. The APEX software is used to quickly assess the resource requirements, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions impacts, costs, and payback periods of policies, investments, and planning measures. The APEX Green Cities program aims to increase the pipeline of public and private climate-related investment influenced by city-level policies and investment plans.
The IFC APEX Team works directly with client cities to conduct APEX analyses. The analyses will determine the future GHG and resource impacts of the city’s current investment pipeline, as well as identify other investment, policy, and planning opportunities in the city. The APEX development process includes workshops with city officials and stakeholders, data gathering, research, analysis using the APEX software, peer review, and preparation of the final reports. IFC’s APEX software and example case studies can be explored at www.apexcities.com.
The online APEX software is driven by an underlying APEX calculation engine, which comprises several building blocks. There are many inter-related engines for each APEX sector, employment, cost, and greenhouse gas emissions, as well as databases with information about countries and cities built upon publicly available datasets. The calculation engine is undergoing continuous improvement to incorporate lessons learned with client cities, the latest in green cities research, emerging best practices, new data sources, and client priorities.
B. Duties and Responsibilities
IFC is seeking a Tool Research Analyst to become an expert in the APEX calculation engine. The consultant will serve as a custodian of the APEX calculation engine and implement new algorithms, methodologies, and data developed in collaboration with other APEX team members. Specifically, the consultant will be responsible for the following activities and deliverables:
- Implement new algorithms, methodologies, and data within the APEX calculation engine
- Track and fix bugs in the APEX calculation engine
- Work with team members to develop and implement innovative methodological approaches to quantify impacts from energy, built environment, transport, waste, water, and GHG actions in cities
- Work with team members to explore and retrieve alternative sources of data for cities, particularly for cities in emerging markets and data-scarce environments
- Provide input on opportunities to improve current functionality of the APEX calculation engine
- Other duties as needed
C. Skills and Qualifications
- Advanced degree in engineering, computer science, architecture, urban planning, policy, transport planning, or related field
- Exceptionally strong skills in Microsoft Excel, including VBA and Macros
- Experience with Python, preferably using Python to automate Excel
- Familiarity with the GHG Protocol for Cities (GPC), as well as some general knowledge across all APEX sectors (i.e., buildings, energy, transportation, waste, and water/wastewater)
- Strong research and data retrieval skills
- Strong teamwork skills, as well as the ability to self-motivate and work independently
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and succinctly
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Experience with .NET, SQL, and QGIS a plus
To apply, please email your resume/CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.