TERMS OF REFERENCE - SHORT-TERM CONSULTANT (STC)
CITY RESEARCH ANALYST
Location: Remote/Global (Washington D.C time zone preferred)
Duration: 50 days
Reporting to: Prashant Kapoor, Chief Industry Specialist, Climate Business Department, IFC
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it’s needed most. IFC is uniquely well positioned to create and grow new markets for climate business. Backed by a World Bank Group commitment to increase climate-related investments and mobilize private sector capital, IFC's Climate Business creates markets by investing directly in climate-smart sectors, developing new de-risking and aggregation mechanisms, and engaging public and private sector stakeholders through international forums and working groups.
IFC has created a climate-smart cities platform called APEX Green Cities. This new platform will help cities make decisions about the future of their energy, transport, water, and waste systems through an extensive array of policy and investment options. The APEX software is used to quickly assess the resource requirements, greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions impacts, costs, and payback periods of policies, investments, and planning measures. The APEX Green Cities program aims to increase the pipeline of public and private climate-related investment influenced by city-level policies and investment plans.
The IFC APEX Team works directly with client cities to conduct APEX analyses, and there are several upcoming city engagements. The output of an APEX analysis is a Green Cities Action Plan (6 months duration) or a Green Investment Diagnostic (4 months duration). The analyses will determine the future GHG and resource impacts of the current investment pipeline, as well as identify other investment, policy, and planning opportunities in the city. The APEX development process includes workshops with city officials and stakeholders, data gathering, research, analysis using the APEX software, coordination with peer reviewers, and preparation of the final reports. IFC’s APEX software and example case studies can be explored at www.apexcities.com.
B. Duties and Responsibilities
IFC is seeking a City Research Analyst to become an expert in the APEX process and work with cities to develop APEX Green Cities Action Plans and Green Investment Diagnostics. The consultant will serve as a liaison and coordinator with city governments, as well as take responsibility for data collection efforts. Specifically, the consultant will be responsible for the following activities and deliverables:
- Conducting research on impacts and costs of city-based climate actions
- Working independently and/or with local consultants on city data collection
- Preparing technical analyses for Green Cities Action Plans and Green Investment Diagnostics, both using the online APEX software and doing additional calculations offline
- Facilitating meetings and workshops with city stakeholders
- Preparing Green Cities Action Plan and Green Investment Diagnostic reports for cities
- Coordinating peer review of reports with internal and external sector experts
- Working as a technical specialist within the team to help improve the APEX software
- Other duties as needed
C. Skills and Qualifications
- Advanced degree in engineering, architecture, urban planning, policy, transport planning, or related field
- Strong understanding of the theoretical underpinnings of GHG emissions calculations and inventories for cities, as well as familiarity with the GHG Protocol for Cities (GPC)
- Demonstrated experience developing GHG inventories for cities, including data collection and analysis
- Strong data collection skills and instincts, as well as good judgement with respect to proxy estimates
- Demonstrated experience quantifying GHG emissions savings for a variety of policies, projects, and planning actions in cities
- Knowledge across the following city sectors, as demonstrated through research projects, work projects, and/or academic coursework: buildings, energy, transportation, waste, and water/wastewater
- Experience working with a variety of stakeholders on climate-related issues
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts to diverse audiences
- Strong writing skills in English
- Additional language skills a plus
To apply, please email your resume/CV and cover letter to email@example.com.