Nature Research is the world’s leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. Its journals include Nature, the Nature Research journals, the Nature Reviews journals and Nature Communications.
Nature Communications is the leading multidisciplinary Open Access journal, publishing high-quality scientific research. To help us to build on the success of this journal, we’re seeking a climate/energy/environmental economist or policy specialist with a strong background in either climate change/economics/environmental policy, economics, mitigation, sustainability and social science who has a critical eye, a deep understanding of their subject and interests beyond, and who can think on their feet.
The Associate/Senior Editor role at Nature Communications is ideal for researchers who love science but feel that a career at the bench isn’t enough to sate your desire to learn more about the natural world and for those who enjoy reading papers outside their chosen area of research.
The responsibilities include:
- Handling original research papers, and working closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review.
- Making well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice.
- Determining the representation of their subject in the journal.
- Liaising extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and with experts in the international scientific community.
- Attending conferences and visiting research institutions.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in environmental social science. This could include, but is not limited to climate change policy/economics/mitigation, sustainability, energy economics/policy.
- Some postdoctoral research experience is preferred but not essential. A thorough understanding of the fundamentals of the subject is essential.
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your speciality and across the wider field of Earth Science.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline.
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
This role can be located in our London, Berlin or New York offices. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis. Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions.
We are currently working remotely and have a strong virtual on-boarding induction in place.
When it is safe to return to the office we have a Global Working from Home Policy which will be discussed during interview.
Applicants should include a CV, a cover letter explaining their interest in the post and their preferred office of employment, and a separate concise (300-400 words) discussion of recent scientific developments in any area of climate or energy policy/sustainability/economics that you found particularly exciting, stating why.
Candidates will be considered as they apply.
Terms for Berlin
Working Hours: Full-time (37 hours/week)
Company: Springer Nature AG & Co. KGaA
Contact HR Berlin: Barbara Thorwarth
If you are an internal candidate please inform your line manager of your application.
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.