Bolt Threads is a material solutions company. Taking nature as our inspiration, we invent and scale cutting-edge materials that put us on a path towards a more sustainable future – and that starts now.
We’re Looking For...
Someone with a passion for sustainability analytics and an aptitude for presenting results that inform innovation. Key dimensions of this position include life cycle assessment, carbon footprinting, systems optimization, and identification of new areas for impact improvement. The work will involve evaluating new technology in the areas of mycelium growing and mycelium leather processing. You’ll be working closely with our Process Development and Manufacturing teams to inform the design of our production processes, and provide key insights to continuously improve the sustainability of our material. To be a superstar in this role you’ll have the capacity to gather the appropriate data, conduct life cycle assessments based on best practices, account for uncertainties in the data, and present the results in a clear, compelling way to technical and non-technical teams and supply chain partners.
Within the first 30 days you will…
- Get familiar with our mycelium material, and the manufacturing processes we have designed to make it.
- Dig into our work on life cycle assessment and carbon footprinting, and how this compares to existing materials on the market.
- Learn about the requirements and needs of our customers as it relates to LCA and corporate responsibility broadly.
- Define the strategy to bring life cycle assessment for the purposes of systems optimization and innovation in-house
in the first 60 days you will…
- Develop the life cycle assessment model based on production processes and LCA best practices
- Engage routinely with the Manufacturing team on our life cycle assessment providing them with key information to inform process development and facility design.
- Develop a project plan that aligns with key manufacturing and material delivery dates
- Provide internal training and education on life cycle assessment including its value and its limitations.
- Initiate our next corporate carbon footprint using best practices and tools appropriate for the size of our company.
In the first 90 days will...
- Integrate LCA, process design, and economic analysis into a comprehensive evaluation which can guide new process development.
- With the Director of Corporate Responsibility, Mylo Business Unit General Manager, and VP of Manufacturing, define the roadmap for continuous sustainability improvement in our production processes
- Support the Manufacturing and Process Development teams in incorporating sustainability in the commissioning of new facilities
- Complete our corporate carbon footprint
- Lead critical review of our life cycle assessment
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring...
- 5+ years of direct experience with or academic training in life cycle assessments and/or carbon footprint assessment
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in chemical engineering, environmental engineering, industrial engineering, mechanical engineering or related job experience
- Familiarity with industry standards including EU Product Environmental Footprint and ISO 14040.
- Adept at communicating information clearly and concisely to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to manage projects including timelines and communication.
- Strong background in data visualization and communication
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with supply chain stakeholders.
- Experience with at least one of the following LCA software platforms: SimaPro, GaBi or Open LCA.
- Domestic and international travel 2-4 times per year
About bolt threads
We are a team that is dedicated to bringing sustainability to the materials that touch our lives. Our team is creative, inclusive, and multidisciplinary. We embrace curious minds that are resilient and can adapt in a rapidly evolving environment.
We provide each person with opportunities to learn and develop essential skills they will use throughout their careers. Each person can make an impact and add their unique footprint to the company’s journey.
We’re working on something big - innovating way better materials for a way better world is not easy to do. It is our collaborative and iterative approach to how we work that enables us to take on some pretty big challenges.
We don’t mind the hard work, in fact, we expect it to be, keeping it in balance with a supportive community and shared laughter along the way.