The Peruvian Life Cycle Assessment and Industrial Ecology Network (PELCAN), a research group of the Department of Engineering at the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (PUCP), will soon start collaboration in a Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) project led by the University of Exeter, funded by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
The project, entitled “Reducing the impacts of plastic waste in developing countries”, that also includes research partners from Ecuador and Chile, has the vision of reducing plastic leakage in the Eastern Pacific region, identifying and testing key intervention points to support the development of a more sustainable, circular plastics resource flow.
We are looking for a motivated candidate with experience in Material Flow Analysis (MFA) and Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), keen to participate in the project. The job position will be based in the premises of PUCP in Lima (Peru).
The candidate will be part of an interdisciplinary and global team and will be involved in the scientific and technical development of the project, field studies to different locations of the Eastern Pacific region, and assist in the overall management of the project.
The candidate will contribute to the valorization of the research results obtained in the project by supporting the publication of scientific papers in ranked scientific journals, making presentations at international conferences and supporting the transfer of the project results to the private and public sectors.
Finally, the candidate will also be expected to support the research group in seeking new funding opportunities in international calls.
The job position will begin in the first trimester of 2021 and will have a duration of 48 months.
- PhD title in any of these disciplines: Environmental Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, or Industrial Ecology.
- Experience in MFA and LCA methodology and LCI inventory databases. Application of these tools in waste management systems is an asset.
- Knowledge in urban solid waste, plastic waste, and circular economy.
- Experience in Agent Based Model or Machine Learning is an asset.
- Experience in an international research environment, in particular in the sustainability field, is an advantage.
- The candidate should think interdisciplinary and holistically.
- The candidate should be able to lead field studies in Peru.
- The applicant should be creative, a team player and have proven organizational skills.
- Capability to construct new project proposals in the fields of industrial ecology.
An advanced knowledge of English is required (TOEFL – iBT score > 85 or equivalent is preferred).
- CV in Spanish or English.
- One motivation letter in Spanish or English.
- One recommendation letter in Spanish or English.
- Any other document you may think useful to be considered in your application file.
All documents should be sent in pdf format by e-mail to: email@example.com
Application deadline: 5 February 2021
Beginning of contract: first trimester of 2021 (tentative)
Contract duration: 48 months
Indicative salary: Competitive. To be discussed during the interview
Employer: PUCP, contract renewed on an annual basis until 48 months are completed.
Peruvian Life Cycle Assessment Network (PELCAN), Department of Engineering, Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Avenida Universitaria 1801, San Miguel 15088, Lima, Peru.