Applications are invited for the post of (Postdoctoral) Research Associate as part of a research project that aims to accelerate the development of technology to process bauxite residue and other high-volume industrial by-products from laboratory to industrial scale and into marketable cementitious products. The project is funded by the European Commission Horizon 2020 – Research and Innovation Framework Programme and is titled “Industrial Residue Activation for Sustainable Cement Production (ReActiv)”. This research project involves 21 academic and industrial partners across Europe, including leaders in cement and alumina production, such as LafargeHolcim and Mytilineos.
The successful candidate will be responsible for creating insight into how high-volume industrial by-products, e.g., bauxite residue, can be most beneficially used in cementitious products to reduce environmental impacts as well as in an economically positive manner. They will develop and use data to match properties (as a measure of material ‘quality’) of these industrial by-products, determined from the existing literature and new experimental material characterisation results, to specifications of products that they may be used in. The investigation will be undertaken at European and global scales, and it will require determinations of industrial by-product availability and cementitious product demand to be made at those scales. It is important that the method of analysis and data format used is replicable to different materials and products, and geographic regions.
This is a fixed term appointment for 12 months.
Duties and responsibilities
- To determine the environmental and economic trade-offs of using industrial by-products in cementitious products at the European and global scales using consequential life cycle assessment.
- To liaise with existing project stakeholders and forge new relationships with potential external partners to obtain materials and data to achieve the role objectives.
- To submit high quality publications to refereed journals.
- To assist in organising project workshops as required.
- Doctoral level qualification in engineering, science, economics, or equivalent experience
- Life cycle costing and/or engineering feasibility studies
- Consequential systems thinking and/or consequential life cycle assessment
- Productive track record of publishing high-quality papers in peer-reviewed journals
- Well organised, attention to detail, critical thinking, and ability to work independently
For informal enquiries about the post please contact Dr. Rupert J. Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information about the post is available in the job description at https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/ENG01402/research-associate/.
Candidates who have not yet been officially awarded their PhD will be appointed as Research Assistant within the salary range £35,477 - £38,566 per annum.
Any queries regarding the application process should be directed to Briony Webb at email@example.com.
For technical issues when applying online please email firstname.lastname@example.org@imperial.ac.uk
Closing Date: 25 October 2020.