Title: Postdoctoral Researcher - "Conceptualizing Global Supply Chains in a Circular Economy
Location: Freiburg, Germany
The newly established research group invites applications of suitable candidates for a position as Postdoctoral Researcher.
The group aims to develop a comprehensive understanding of the emergence and potential pathways of a circular economy in Europe and beyond. To achieve integrated insights into political, economic, and societal change processes, the group combines perspectives from political science, sociology, economics, and engineering/industrial ecology. It is funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and located in an exciting, international network of scholars from diverse disciplines.
About the job
The Postdoctoral Researcher’s primary task is to advance our understanding of transformation processes in global supply chains of forest and agriculture-based products related to a circular economy. In particular, the Postdoctoral Researcher will analyze opportunities and constraints to the re-organization of supply chains for a circular economy. She/he will further assess synergies and trade-offs between different sustainability objectives (economic, environmental, and social) along existing and potential future chains. This task will involve case study research and quantitative assessments of industry sectors (e.g. on supply chains developing around food waste or paper board). The results will be aligned with political science knowledge on supply chain regulation for a circular economy (generated by other group members). In the latter task, the Postdoctoral Researcher is expected to cooperate closely with the head of the research group.
Within this project, the Postdoctoral Researcher will be given considerable freedom to develop her/his own research program and qualify for an advanced academic career. The post includes the opportunity to participate in the supervision of BSc/MSc/PhD theses and teaching at the Faculty. Pursuing a further qualification (Habilitation) is supported but no requirement.
Qualifications, competencies & experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in environmental science, economics, or related disciplines;
- Doctoral Degree in the field of ecological economics, industrial ecology or a related field with a strong focus on sustainable supply chains;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and good working knowledge of German;
- Knowledge of issues and processes related to natural resources, environmental management and sustainability;
- Knowledge of ecological-economic modeling, ecological footprint accounting, life-cycle assessment;
- A strong interest in interdisciplinary work, especially with the social/political sciences;
- Demonstrated experience in publishing in peer-reviewed journals and presenting research findings at international scientific conferences;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to adapt to an international work environment;
- Strong interpersonal skills and a desire to cooperate closely with the group;
- Ability to engage with researchers and stakeholders from a range of backgrounds.
The position presents the chance to be part of an interdisciplinary group committed to cutting-edge research in sustainability science. Your position includes participation in national and international scientific conferences and the possibility to acquire further training related to your professional development (https://www.frs.uni-freiburg.de/kurse_postdocs-en/index-en?set_language=en) or teaching and learning (https://www.hochschuldidaktik.uni-freiburg.de). You will be located in an interdisciplinary faculty (focusing on environmental and social science) with renowned staff, excellent research networks and an international, multi-disciplinary student body in the heart of the Black Forest.
The University of Freiburg is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering heterogeneity among its employees and increasing the proportion of female scientists. Consequently, we actively encourage applications from qualified women. We also welcome applications from candidates with severe disabilities who will be given preferential consideration in case of equal qualification.
Full time, to be filled for a 2-year term with the option of a 2-year extension (funding secured). Starting as soon as possible. Annual salary ~51-56,500 EUR, depending on qualification & experience, including social security & pension plan.
Please send a cover and motivation letter (in English, 2 pages max.), a CV, an example of your scientific writing, copies of relevant school and university certificates and transcripts, and contact details of at least two references. Please submit all materials through mail or e-mail in one PDF file named with your surname (e.g. Smith.pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found.
For questions about the job, please contact Dr. Sina Leipold (email@example.com).
For more information about the research group, visit www.circulus-project.de